Monday, October 5, 2020

Convictions of the Solo Champion

Call me paranoid but it's so common and dubious for smartphone apps to ask for all sorts of permissions. Google should have put the permissions field before everything but I suspect it got deliberately pushed to the least accessible and visible position of the App info menu ... Perhaps I am just too stupid to figure out why an ordinary dictionary app needs to "Read phone status and identity" (IMEI? IMSI?), "View network connections", etc. iOS is no better I gather.

My personal conviction is if possible I won't let the web know more about me than necessary. My worst fear is just that everything (files, data, keys, even fingerprints, voice and facial images) stored on my "smart" device is contantly being monitored and data-mined day and night. Big data is a universal mixed bag. I don't know maybe it sounds like an apparent self-contradiction for geeky folks like me who both embrace and reject technology at the same time.

As stated before, the ideal mobile gear fpr the Solo Champion is a supercharged smartphone for networking and browsing, plus my offline brilliant handheld computer(s) to manage most of my personal data. This way I won't win big love from the Grand Big Data, but I would live happier and enjoy a bigger peace of mind. 

Rant on! ☝

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of Jornada: Chapter 12 Go The Full Monty of MS-DOS 6.22

After running DOS programs under PocketDOS for a couple of weeks, I decided to go the full monty by installing the complete MS-DOS 6.22 (plu...