Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Book of Jornada: Chapter 4 By the Power of DOS!!

Today I sent an email to the developer of  PocketDOS asking about how to purchase a license, as the link on its website seems broken.

After half a day (timezone difference I suppose), the developer responded with a working link to the order: https://order.shareit.com/cart/add?vendorid=14287&PRODUCT[164077]=1  

In a split second I went ahead and placed an order with paypal, costing around USD$25. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it. Remember this is not just one piece of arcane software. It is a key to the gigantic wealth of treasures and artifacts of the ancient lost tech!

After several minutes I received another message from PocketDos asking me for my Owner Name and System ID in order to generate a unique Unlock Code. Having sent the information to them, the unlock code was delivered in a short while. 

Now the vault is opened! It's going to be a long, long adventure deep into the great ancient realm of DOS!!


[UPDATED 20201030]
A very nice touch of PocketDOS is the function keys (F1-F10) at the bottom of the display, in addition to being clickable/tappable, actually correspond to the exact position of each of the physical application hot keys on the Jornada's keyboard.



2 comments:

  1. I am definitely interested.
    Is this ARM only?

    I am assuming it is an x86 emulator, so anything that I have would just run? Have you tried something like a graphic game? Is there DOS4GW support?

    I'd love to get this running on my Aero 8000 as well ad happy to fork the bill.

    Shiunbird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know PocketDOS supports a pretty wide range of architectures and CE/WM versions. You can try it out to see if it works for you before paying for the license. http://www.mediator-software.com/pocketdos/download.htm
      I'd say this is the best $25 I've ever spent on software.
      However, since this is an emulator of rather low specs, graphic intensive games may not work good enough. I have yet to try Doom or similar games there. That said, turn-based strategy games (such as Ogre or the old SSI wargames) or RPGs (Ultima, Wizardry, etc.) run very well.
      Basically I want to run DOS programs on my Jornada for productivity purposes (notetaking, writing, outlining, PIM, etc.).

      Delete

Book of Jornada: Chapter 12 Go The Full Monty of MS-DOS 6.22

After running DOS programs under PocketDOS for a couple of weeks, I decided to go the full monty by installing the complete MS-DOS 6.22 (plu...